We believe that an inspiring English curriculum should develop children’s love of reading and literacy while providing children with the ability to articulate and justify their ideas, orally and in writing. The English writing curriculum is underpinned by reading and immersion in carefully chosen, high quality texts which provide many opportunities for purposeful reading, writing and discussion.
Our curriculum closely follows the aims of the National Curriculum for English and ensures that children acquire the knowledge, skills and confidence to become successful writers.
Our aim is for pupils to:
- read fluently to develop an understanding of the text, authorial devices and text structures.
- through reading and discussion of quality whole texts, acquire a rich and wide vocabulary to employ in writing.
- appreciate the richness and variety of texts from a range of cultures.
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- understand how skilled use of grammar, linguistic conventions for writing and spelling affect and improve communication in writing.
- use discussion in order to learn, explain children’s understanding of texts and express and elaborate ideas articulately.
- develop a fluent and legible handwriting style.