At Gatton Primary School, Forest School sessions have been introduced to allow children to explore, learn and develop in the outdoors, whatever the season or weather. Research shows that time spent outdoors has a positive effect on children’s health and wellbeing.
A Forest School is where pupils have regular opportunities to achieve, and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland environment. Fortunately, with our recent community links with Fishponds Playing Fields, we are now able to offer Forest School activities for some pupils in upper KS2.
In our Forest School sessions, children are taught to:
- Be equal, unique and valuable
- Be competent to explore and discover
- Experience appropriate risk, challenge and success
- Initiate and drive their own learning and development
- Develop skills of resourcefulness and resilience
- Develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
- Develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world